Take over the kitchen on Mother’s Day and surprise Mum with these hearty dishes
Impress Mum on her day by whipping up these Asian soups that are big on flavour and can easily be prepared in less than an hour.
VIETNAMESE PUMPKIN SOUP
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 650ml water
- 1kg pumpkin (cubed)
- 20g shallots (chopped)
- 20g garlic (chopped)
- 20g ginger (chopped)
- 2 green chillies (chopped)
- 1 stalk lemongrass (chopped)
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 small stalk pandan leaf
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 300ml coconut milk
- Mint leaves
- Basil leaves
- Coriander leaves
- Boil water with vegetable stock cube to obtain a clear vegetable stock.
- Heat another pot with oil and stir-fry chopped ingredients until fragrant.
- Add vegetable stock, pandan leaf, lime leaves and pumpkin.
- Bring to boil again. Lower heat and simmer until pumpkin is cooked and tender.
- Use a blender to mix the soup to puree.
- Reheat soup. Add coconut milk and fish sauce.
- Garnish with mint, basil and coriander leaves.
KIMCHI CHICKEN SOUP
- 200g ready-made marinated kimchi
- 1 tsp cooking oil
- 120g red onions (thinly sliced)
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 10g celery leaves
- 1,800ml water
- 150g chicken leg sliced (lightly coated with corn flour)
- Heat up a pot with oil then add the red onions to fry.
- Add water and 2 chicken stock cubes before bringing the
mixture to a heavy boil for 2 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients one after the other and cook for
another 3 to 5 minutes or until the chicken meat is cooked.
- Taste and get ready to serve.
PHOTOS & RECIPES COURTESY OF KNORR.COM.SG