Fetal Assessment Unit
The Fetal Assessment Unit (FAU) provides a one-stop obstetric ultrasound and pre-natal diagnostic service for pregnant women who wish to be assured of the well-being of their babies. This unit is the first dedicated unit in a private hospital in Singapore and is managed by a Consultant Maternal Fetal Medicine Specialist and is assisted by a team of experienced and dedicated sonographers.
Our Fetal Assessment services include:
- First Trimester Pre-Eclampsia Screening:
Pre-eclampsia is a serious pregnancy complication affecting 2 in 100 pregnancies. It is a common cause of preterm birth and intrauterine growth retardation. We are the 1st centre in Singapore to offer this screening which includes
– Specific blood test for PlGF*
– Blood pressure measurement
– Ultrasound examination
1st trimester Pre-eclampsia Screening and early treatment helps to prevent Pre-eclampsia.
Consult your doctor and book an appointment with us for 1st trimester Pre-eclampsia screening. Call us @ 63544115 or download our e-brochure for more information
- One-stop Clinic for Assessment of Risk for Fetal Anomalies (OSCAR),
This is a first trimester option offered to all pregnant women as an earlier and more accurate method of screening for risk of fetal anomalies, in particular Down Syndrome (Trisomy 21).
- Screening for chromosomal defects in the first rather than the second trimester provides earlier reassurance for those with a normal result.
- The composite risk score will help you decide whether you want any invasive testing such as CVS or Amniocentesis.
- For those choosing this optional test, it will also be less traumatic if a termination is necessary.
What does OSCAR involve?
1. Ultrasound measurement of Nuchal Translucency (NT) at 11-13 weeks + 6 days gestation of the fetus.
2. A sample of the mother’s blood is analysed for levels of free beta hCG and PAPP-A (Pregnancy associated plasma Protein A).
Studies have shown that Down Syndrome is associated with
• Increased maternal age
• Increased fetal nuchal translucency thickness (NT)
• Increased maternal serum free beta-HCG and
• Decreased pregnancy-associated plasma protein A (PAPP-A) concentration
The detection rate of Trisomy 21 by this method would be about 90%, for a false positive rate of 5%. This is superior to the 65% by maternal age and second trimester serum biochemistry; and 80% detection rate by NT and maternal age in the first trimester.
For detailed information on OSCAR, please download our e-brochure.
- 3D/4D Ultrasound Scans
Fancy taking a peek at your little bundle of joy? With our latest 3D/4D ultrasound scans, you are able to see your unborn child for the first time. A 3D ultrasound scan provides a photographic image of the baby while the 4D ultrasound scan provides a moving image of a baby.
At Fetal Assessment Unit, the 3D/4D ultrasound scans will be performed in a relaxed and comfortable environment by our experienced sonographers using state-of-the-art ultrasound systems.
A 2D scan will still be performed in conjunction with the 3D/4D scan to exclude anomaly and assess the growth of the baby. To experience this amazing and touching moment, just obtain a referral letter from your doctor and book an appointment with us at 6354 4115.
For detailed information on the 3D/4D scan, please download our e-brochure.
Other Services available at FAU include
• Ultrasound imaging for risk assessment of chromosomal abnormalities in the first trimester (Nuchal Translucency Measurement)
• Second trimester Fetal Anomaly (FA) Scanning
• Cervical Length Measurements for prediction of pre-term labour
• Uterine Doppler assessment for prediction of pre-eclampsia and poor fetal growth
• Ultrasound monitoring using Doppler colour flow imaging, as well as the
• Thalassaemia Studies
• Chorionic Villus Sampling
• Cordocentesis/Fetal Blood Sampling
• Multiple pregnancy (twins/triplets/quadruplets) fetal assessment
Here are some screening tests services recommended for different trimester, please do consult your doctor for advise on which screening test to take for your condition :
- First Trimester Pre-Eclampsia Screening
- Either OSCAR (One-stop Clinic for Assessment of Risk for Fetal Anomalies ) or
- NT plus NIPT – Panorama/Harmony
- Chorionic villi Sampling
- Fetal Anomaly Scan –Obstetric ultrasound (20 to 22 weeks)
- Fetal Anomaly Scan with Uterine Doppler (20 to 22 weeks)
- Cervical Length Assessment
- Obstetric ultrasound for Growth with Full Doppler to assess fetal growth and well-being
- Obstetric ultrasound without Doppler to assess growth.
- Biophysical Profile